Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Are You Ready for the Alien Invasion?


Sitting in my office, I await the arrival of my next client. It is his very first training session and I hear he is quite the athlete. Consuming his neon green, caffeine filled, pre-workout beverage he enters my office and wonders what he can learn from me. I have seen him in the gym time and time again, spending hours lifting weights to improve his health and performance, yeah he looks good but is he REALLY FIT??

After talking about his goals we decide to get right into the workout, I ask him, "on a scale from 1-10, what is your current fitness level. 1 being completely out of shape and 10 being an awesome athlete, what are you?" With a confident smile he replies, "I am at least an 8!"

After only 5-6 minutes into the workout, consisting of dynamic movement patterns with short intervals of rest, he was done! Color had left his face, nausea was setting in and a quick nap (or passing out) was in his future. But I though he was at least an 8!

Too many times I have trained individuals who lift weights day after day, to build lean muscle but neglect the total aspect of being fit. Yes they may look great but force them to actually move and their DEAD! This brings me to the point of an ALIEN INVASION! If there were an alien invasion, we must be able to; run, jump, lift, swim, rotate, climb, push, pull and throw. If not you will be dead! Train yourself this way!! become completely fit! Incorporate cardio, weights, multi-joint movements, high repetitions, rotational movements, plyometrics, etc...Don't just lift weights, get big muscles and think you are fit! PREPARE FOR THE ALIEN INVASION!

1 comment:

  1. What a great spin on an old topic, getting fit for real reasons (not that an alien invasion is actually real, but you never know) that will improve your daily life.

    Not just to "get HUGE" or "loose weight" but to feel and perform better in things we are doing every day.

    ReplyDelete