Friday, January 8, 2010

Myths about Nutrition

Myth: Dieting will help me “spot treat” body fat, so that I may improve my problem areas.

Truth: When dieting to loose body fat, you will loose fat throughout your whole body not just problem areas like your stomach or thighs.


Myth: Everyone needs the same amount of calories, nutrients, protein, etc…

Truth: Everyone has different nutritional needs based on; body type, activity level, body fat percentage, height, weight and age. What works for one person may not work for others.


Myth: Removing all fat from my diet will help me healthier.

Truth: It is true that reducing fat from your diet will promote greater levels of health and fitness but some fat is necessary for proper health and bodily functions.


Myth: I can reach my goals by eating 3 large meals per day.

Truth: To ensure maximal results your body needs a consistent delivery of nutrients throughout the day. This is why you should be eating 5-6 small meals every day.


Myth: Removing all carbohydrates from my diet will improve my health.

Truth: Your body prefers to use carbohydrates as its fuel source. Without them your body will breakdown important muscle, brain and heart tissue for its energy.


Myth: All supplements are a waste of money and don’t work.

Truth: It is true that there are a lot of supplements out there which make unrealistic claims. But there are also a number of supplements backed by scientific research that are safe and effective for enhancing ones health and fitness.


Myth: I only need to maintain proper nutrition for the time needed to reach my goal.

Truth: Being healthy should be a lifestyle change not a “quick fix.” You must continue to maintain proper nutrition throughout the life course if you want to remain healthy.


Myth: Skipping meals is a good way to loose body fat.

Truth: Skipping meals will force your body to assume a pre-starvation mode in which it will slow down its metabolism to store body fat.


Myth: I should never eat after 8:00pm

Truth: There are a number of bodily functions and metabolic processes occurring while you sleep. Therefore, you still need calories and nutrients but just in smaller amounts.




No comments:

Post a Comment